Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Holiday Personal Narrative and Elf

 There are three things I want to talk about in this photo.  First, the students love hearing about your life and what you do outside the classroom!  As I was telling them about the elf that visits my house at the holidays, the class conspired and wrote a letter to request an elf to visit our classroom.  So, low and behold, the next day we had an elfin friend visit and bring in powered donuts for the kids.  He hung around for a few days causing mischief and bringing surprises with their good behavior.  Wouldn't have thought 6th graders would like it, but they loved it!   As I have found with 6th and 8th grade, the older kids are still kids, just in bigger bodies they still love cheers, rewards, and surprises that you might think is younger than them- but they get a kick out of it.  Seriously- try to bring out scented markers as a surprise for a project with older students and watch them smile or a random sticker on a test.  Works wonders- especially if its a surprise reward.

Secondly, my favorite activity to work on around the holidays with the kids is hanging behind the elf in the bottom photo.  Each holiday we work on personal narratives describing favorite holiday memories.  I use several books including my two favorites The Christmas Orange, The Christmas Day Kitten and my own written memoir of my favorite holiday memory to introduce the multi-week lesson.  We write letters to family members asking for them to write back about their favorite holiday memory, which incorporates friendly letters and a class and home building activity.  Then the students go thru the process of their own holiday memory (I allow them to choose ANY holiday).  When the family members write back they read aloud the letters, and we hang up the letters in the back display in the class.  After finishing their narratives, we make a copy for their language binder, and mail a copy to the family member we originally wrote to with a thank you for them sending their letter.  It is a great writing unit that spans that time of year when they are squirrely with excitement and gives them a voice to share about how they celebrate holiday traditions in their family.  You get some AMAZING letters back too!  My class has been moved to teary eyes a few times with things people have shared about magical moments they have experienced, centered around random acts of kindness and thinking about others!

Third, the way I display and rotate work in the classroom easily and efficiently is using the sticky hooks that are removable and does not harm the walls (I'm sure my building manager appreciates them), twine and clothes pins.  It looks great, is an easy assembly and allows for student work to constantly be up and showcased within the classroom.  Also, the kids can do the task of hanging them up and taking them down and I do not worry about it at all.  


No comments:

Post a Comment